This is a filling and delicious salad that vegetarians and meat-eaters alike love! It’s easily adaptable to whatever veggies you have on hand too. Try swapping tomatoes for bell peppers and add cucumber too!
- 2 cups cooked brown rice, chilled
- 2–3 cups cooked black beans
- 2 cups seeded and diced tomato
- 1 bunch (about 5–7) sliced green onions, using both the white and green parts
- 2.5 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2.5 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2.5 Tablespoons water
- juice of one fresh lime
- 1 small diced jalapeño pepper
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese or feta
- In a large bowl combine chilled rice, beans, tomato, and green onions.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil and next 7 ingredients (through salt).
- Pour dressing mixture over the rice and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate salad for 30 minutes.
- Top with shredded cheese and avocado just before serving.
If using canned beans, use two 15 oz cans, drained and rinsed.
If your jalapeño is super spicy or you don’t like spicy food, remove the seeds and ribs and only add the green part.
- Calories: 256
- Sugar: 4.6
- Fat: 8.9
- Saturated Fat: 1.8
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 33.1
- Fiber: 10
- Protein: 9.6
- Cholesterol: 5
Keywords: brown rice, black beans, vegetarian, salad, tomatoes