But this whole eye twitch thing is stressing me because I’m thinking, “Oh crap, I have an eye twitch. I must be stressed about something…but I don’t know what it is! Oh no! I’ve forgotten something terribly important. Not only do I now have an eye twitch but I’ve forgotten something terribly important which is stressing me more than this eye twitch!”
OK, I’m not really thinking that crazily but I am baffled by it. Although my friend Whitney said that I just need to eat a banana. Her mom always told her that you’re lacking potassium if you have an eye twitch. I should try that. Excuse me while I go eat a banana.
Banana has been eaten. [Yes, I really did just go eat a banana.] You know what else has been eaten? These Chipotle Spiced New York Strips with Roasted Garlic. And they were delicious. And easy. In fact, you could serve them to house guests and not even work up a stress-induced eye twitch. I looked up about 5 different recipes looking to a spice rub and didn’t have everything for any of them. So I made up my own. And I’m quite proud of it. Although, spice rubs are pretty hard to mess up, I think. So if you don’t have anything. Just start adding what you do have.
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Combine all the spices (not the garlic!) in a small bowl.
2. Drizzle one side of steaks with olive oil and sprinkle about 1/2 of the seasoning between the two steaks. Pat it on with your fingers. Flip them over, drizzle the other side with olive oil and sprinkle on the remaining spices. Wrap in plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for about an hour.
3. While the steak is resting, let’s prep the garlic. Peel all the outer layers of garlic off a whole head of garlic. Yep, all that covering the cloves? Pull it off. Gently. You want just the individual cloves cover to stay on.
4. Slice off about 1/2″ to expose the top of all the cloves.
5. Put the garlic on top of a square of foil and drizzle liberally with olive oil. Wrap the foil tightly and stick the garlic in the oven for 30-45 minutes or until it looks like this. All roasty, soft and delicious. Remove the garlic from the oven, wrap it back up tightly in the foil to keep it warm and set aside.
6. Preheat a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add the steaks to the pan and let cook for 3-4 minutes, until a crust has formed. [You’ll probably want to open a window or turn on your oven fan because it’s gonna get smoky! And I can’t have you coughing from smoke inhalation.] Flip the steak and cook for another 5-6 minutes, for a medium-rare steak. Just how I like it. Cook it longer if you like your meat extra chewy….err, I mean more well done.
7. Serve with crusty bread (I like Against the Grain Gluten-free Baguettes), and the roasted garlic. It should spread easily onto the bread and the steak bites. Deeeelicious.
Note: I bought one beef NY Strip and one bison Ribeye. Both were great! The bison is leaner – it’s the one on the right.
Serve with a cabernet. This steak deserves a good wine. So do you. So do I. I hear they’re good for eye twitches.
Leave a Comment
15 responses to “Chipotle Spiced New York Strips with Roasted Garlic”
Oh my WORD that steak looks good!! I just ate peanut butter for dinner. Did the banana help??
peanut butter for dinner sounds amazing.
Thanks for sharing! That steak looks delicious!
i hope you like it if you try it!
yum! I may have to make that soon. Dehydration can also be a cause for eye twitch – so drink up on that water 🙂
i bet it could be dehydration from my 12 miler over the weekend. I loaded up on water today (it was still twitching in the AM) and now this evening it’s gone! thanks!!
WOMAN. FEED ME.
This steak spice sounds a-MAH-zing!
hahahaa. i’ll cook for you if you cook for me sometime!
you rock those pjs, sister. haha. ok, this feels odd to say, but that picture of the garlic is really pretty. 🙂
ha! that’s really funny you’d say that because i have a framed picture of garlic in my kitchen that Holly from The Healthy Everythingtarian took. and i was obsessed with it so I asked her to send me a print. 🙂
Ugh, I had an eye twitch for several months during grad school/pregnancy. Probably the most torturous thing I’ve ever experienced. I blame you if the stress of reading about your twitch + remembering my twitch brings the blasted thing back. May your twitch be gone by morning!
i remember when you had that twitch! i remember you telling me about it back in the day! 🙂
Yeah, eye-twitching can be linked to potassium deficiency. Charlie-horses as well. Potato skins are also packed with potassium.
I think I mostly comment on here when I see Maizey…not that the steak isn’t worth mentioning, I just added it to my grocery list so I can make it tonight! I just wanted to ask if I could borrow your pup for a snuggle like that?! 🙂
Maizey is flattered. 🙂 And yes, you may borrow her but I must warn you – she poots in her sleep.
I hope you liked the steak if you made it!